Tuesday, December 20, 2016

It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas...

...or not. The joys of living in the South, though there's nowhere else that I'd rather be. It has been a little cold and rainy these past few days, which is a welcome change from the sweltering and bone-dry summer that we had.

Even though we don't get snow, I am feeling pretty festive. The tree is lit and covered in handmade ornaments (having a kid in pre-k is the best, y'all), the lights on the porch are on, and there is just a general excitement in everyone. I think it's just having young children that makes it that way. Arthur and Vidalia are dying to open presents. We have Christmas with my grandparents on Friday, with my parents on Saturday (we are the type that opens gifts from each other on Christmas Eve), and then Santa on Sunday. I think both kids are going to be very pleased with what they get, even though I made it a point to spend less this year and go quality over quantity. Arthur has his heart set on the Pop the Pig game he saw on TV, a Minecraft Lego set, and a yoyo. Vidalia swears that Santa is bringing her a LeapPad and Elsa stuff. We shall see...

Anyway, my knitting time has been taken up by an too-long list of custom orders and commissions. I do this to myself every single year, and every single year I say that it's the last. This one really is. Since October, I have knit a full 12 foot Dr Who scarf, 2 child tunic to fit a 6 and 10 year old, several hats, a few Christmas gifts, a regular length scarf, several pairs of fingerless mitts, and had to restock during the days between craft shows. It's been rough, especially since I really dislike deadline knitting and dislike being told what to knit even more. I do like guaranteed sales, though. I still have a baby sweater, a wimple cowl, a hat, and an ear warmer left to make. whew. Next year I really am going to at least cut back on the orders... there's just no sense in being stressed around the holidays.

I did make a fun little hat yesterday, though:



Isn't it darling? This is the Baby Plaid Trapper Hat in size 0-3 months. I saw it on the Knit Picks facebook page and just had to hook it immediately.


I didn't have red Brava, but did have the Wine, Black, and Cobblestone Heather (I like it more than the called-for Dove Heather), so KP Mighty Stitch in Serrano came to the rescue. I am completely smitten with this little thing. I am envisioning many more in other plaid colors.

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is so much more fun with kids around. I can't even imagine how much that excitement is amplified when they're your own! (Also that hat is beyonnndddd adorable.)

    ReplyDelete