Friday, December 23, 2016

Merry Christmas to Me!

Does anyone else buy themselves a Christmas gift? I always have. This year I made my own gift...


Since doing the craft show thing, I've become a selfish knitter. Not selfish in the usual sense of only knitting for myself, but rather in the sense that everything I make goes up for sale. I'd rather the money than the item for myself, my husband, the kids, or anyone else. That left me with no warm handknit goodies for when the weather turned cold. I needed a hat.

It's a simple pattern (generic hdc crochet hat), but the yarn does the talking. I held one strand of Knit Picks Aloft (75% kid mohair, 25% silk) and one strand of Buffalo Wool Co Lux (45% bison down, 20% cashmere, 20% silk, 15% tencel) together. The result is a very soft, warm, and luxurious hat! It has a gorgeous halo that's difficult to capture in photographs. I bought the buffalo yarn at Stitches South in 2008, and it's been my precious ever since. I got the idea to hold it double with a mohair/silk blend, so had to purchase the Aloft when it was released. Total cost of this hat is about 80.00, which is utterly ridiculous, but it's oh-so-lovely and all mine.

---

We opened presents from my maternal grandparents today. They got the kids some much-needed clothes (and my kids do love clothes so it's not a boring gift for them), cute piggy banks from H-Mart full of Asian jelly candy (similar to jello, sort of), and some sidewalk chalk. Charlie got a flagpole for the yard that he wanted, and I got a cart for rabbit shows (Yes! I'm back into showing rabbits!) and the deluxe version of my rabbit pedigree program. Yay!



P.S. My time away from keeping my own blog active was also away from reading the blogs that I loved so much. I poked around at my old favorites and am so happy that most of them are still going strong! I've added my list of favorites to the sidebar, so go check them out!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to blogging. I love that little hat.

    ReplyDelete